Follow our handy 'how to’ guide below on laying laminate flooring
Laminate flooring has always maintained its status as the staple go-to wood flooring alternative in homes, with advancements being made in flooring technology allowing the best laminate flooring to resemble solid hardwood more closely than ever before. Here at JP Corry we stock a wide range in a variety of colours and styles.
We want to help make the DIY process as easy as possible and our staff in branch are always willing to provide their top tips and experience with our products.
(Pictured: Lifestyle 7mm Smart Castle oak)
Tools you may need:
Things to do before laying your new laminate floor
- If the floor is going to be used in a kitchen or bathroom setting, check the flooring is moisture resistant to avoid swelling and buckling
- Read the manufacturer instructions so you fully understand how to fit the floor and know which tools are going to be necessary to complete the job
- You may need to install a foam underlay on the subfloor in order to dry-fit the planks ( you will find this information in the instructions) *underlay can be cut with scissors
Laying the laminate flooring
- When laying the first row of planks start at the left side of the room with the groove along the wall, tilt the end of the laminate upwards and click it into place
- Check that the first row of planks is straight and there are no gaps between the planks and wall, if there are gaps, these can be corrected with spacers
- * Top Tip – Laminate flooring can shrink or expand so it is a good idea to keep a gap at all sides of the floor and use spacers that can be adjusted
- Use a tapping block to tap the planks into place. If there isn’t enough space at the end of a row for a tapping block use a pull bar.
- Use a saw to cut the planks to length so they fit into your space, start the next row of planks with the remaining piece from the previous row
- For the last row of planks you may need to saw the plank length ways, so make sure the groove is on the right side when doing this
Congratulations you have successfully laid your laminate flooring!
If you would like to see our range of laminate flooring please click here: https://www.jpcorry.com/all-products/diy/doors-floors-stairs/flooring-laminate/
Or alternatively visit any of our branches to get a first-hand look at the exciting range of styles and colours on offer.